Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Happy Birthday Dougie Fresh + other inappropriate things


Doug's birthday was yesterday. The big 50 35. We had an excellent day in clinic, went to Fresh Cafe (how appropriate for Dougie Fresh) and then out to dinner. Doug had a hankering for some General Tso's chicken so we braved a place called "Chinese Restaurant." 10 points for simplicity. 

They wisely seated us in our own room and, because our collective maturity level hovers somewhere around 6 years old, we wasted no time playing with the lazy Susan (all of us) and sticking chopsticks up our nose (Doug). At least he doesn't act 35 :)

My menu was crumbled, stained and otherwise very difficult to read. Luckily I was able to read the first dish on this page loud and clear: 

Yes, that's right. Seafood with ass mushroom. I would make a pithy speculation about what an "ass mushroom" would be but a) this is a family friendly blog and b) after three weeks of dermatology (which frequently includes seeing sexually transmitted diseases) I might have too vivid an idea of what an ass mushroom might entail.


We ordered a melange of food and it was actually delicious. As they heaped it on the table we looked at one another in alarm: did we really order that much? We comforted ourselves with the notion that we'd have leftovers. Yah right. 30 min of solid feeding frenzy later we had fully dispelled that delusion. Not even a lone grain of rice escaped the carnage. 

We went home and had some delicious cake and Doug enjoyed his 2 birthday presents from me: a facebook account and some Jack Daniels. Just what every 35 year old needs. 


I feel it worth mentioning that despite all the good natured ribbing from me, I can't even tell you how much I appreciate Doug. I literally spent every waking moment with him these past few weeks and I mean every waking moment. We not only work together in clinic, on the wards and in the lab but we also live and play together. That is a lot of time to spend with someone who you just met. 

I know that there are time that he wanted to strangle me (like when I asked him the 101546th derm question of the day when he was "off the clock") but to say that he put up with me would be an egregious understatement. He taught me so much, kept me laughing pretty much 24/7 and basically shaped my entire Botswana experience. It was a pleasure to watch him settle into the routine here and really hit his stride. I'm sad that he's leaving on Saturday- I'm so lucky to have been able to work with him and I can't wait to bother him er....shadow him.... when we get back to Philadelphia. 

Happy birthday, buddy! We'll miss you so much when you leave :(

No comments:

Post a Comment